Mr. Moffitt handles many types of criminal cases. His office is conveniently located near the Collier County Courthouse in Naples. If you have pending criminal charges in Collier County or Lee County, please contact him for a free consultation.
Consult with a Defense Lawyer Today
Mr. Moffitt understands the importance of hiring the right lawyer for pending criminal charges. He also knows that this decision should not be taken lightly. Mr. Moffitt welcomes you to his office for a free consultation about your criminal case. To speak directly with Mr. Moffitt right now, please call 239-298-6538.
Why Hire a Criminal Defense Attorney?
You should hire a criminal lawyer because it is your right. If you are facing criminal charges in Collier or Lee County, you may not know what rights you have. You are likely feeling stress and anxiety. You may have posted a bond and are wondering if you will get that money back. You may be wondering if you will have to go to jail or prison. You may be curious as to the best and worst possible scenarios you are facing. It is likely that you are not familiar with how the criminal justice system operates and how you will defend yourself from the seemingly infinite resources of law enforcement and the State Attorney.
A knowledgeable criminal defense lawyer can help. Mr. Moffitt will utilize the rules of evidence and the rules of criminal procedure to defend you. He will answer your questions and keep you informed throughout the case. He will review the prosecution’s evidence, cross-examine their witnesses and file the proper motions to prevent a violation of your constitutional rights and due process. The goal being to provide you with the best defense possible given your specific situation.
Criminal cases are serious because they may result in jail or prison time, fines, probation, no contact orders and they can have long lasting consequences, such as losing one’s right to own or possess firearms, vote in elections, live in certain areas, etc. There is simply too much at stake in a criminal case to leave your defense to chance. Mr. Moffitt has handled thousands of criminal cases.
Who is the best Collier or Lee County Criminal Defense Lawyer?
Unfortunately, this is mostly subjective, or a matter of opinion. Lawyers are also prohibited from predicting or guaranteeing success or specific results. To truly understand the strength or weakness of a case, a lawyer often needs to review all of the evidence in the case, which is only obtained after a lawyer has been hired and filed a “Notice of Appearance” and “Demand for Discovery.” Be wary of lawyers that tell you that they’ll “make this go away” or that they “guarantee a win.”
Hiring the best criminal defense attorney for your particular case can be one of the most important decisions you will ever make. When selecting a criminal defense lawyer to handle your case, here are just a few factors out of the many that you may want to consider before making a decision.
Be wary of lawyers that hold themselves out to be the best criminal defense lawyers. The question of who is the “best” is strictly one of opinion. all criminal cases are different. The facts are different. The witnesses are different. The charges are different. Each client needs what is best for him or her. When choosing the right criminal defense attorney for your case, there are several factors that you should consider, a few of which are listed as follows:
- How many years has the lawyer been practicing criminal defense? Mr. Moffitt has been a criminal defense attorney in SWFL for over 17 years.
- Is your lawyer a former Government Lawyer? Mr. Moffitt was a Government Attorney for the State of Florida upon admission to the Florida Bar.
- Has the lawyer handled a case similar to yours? Mr. Moffitt has handled criminal cases of almost every variety.
- Does the lawyer have trial experience? Mr. Moffitt has tried cases from misdemeanors, like DUI, to manslaughter with a firearm.
- Do you feel comfortable with your lawyer? You can confide in Mr. Moffitt and trust that everything you talk about related to your case will be held in confidence and is attorney-client privileged communication.
Hiring a criminal defense lawyer for your case is an important decision that should not be taken lightly. You should interview your lawyer based on some of the factors outlined above. Be wary of lawyers that make promises or guarantees to win your case as these promises are unethical.
Is the Criminal Defense Attorney Based in the County Where Your Charges Are Pending?
Many people travel to Naples or Fort Myers for vacation or for business. Sometimes people who have been arrested here must return home with pending criminal charges. Mr. Moffitt routinely handles cases in Collier and Lee County. He is familiar with the local rules of the courts and is sometimes more likely to know the sentencing habits of certain judges or what to expect from dealing with certain prosecutors.
There may be several court dates, hearings, and depositions that Mr. Moffitt will need to attend. Mr. Moffitt has been handling criminal defense cases in SWFL for over 17 years.
If you are under investigation or have already been arrested and charged with a crime in Collier or Lee County, you should highly consider hiring a local attorney to represent you. Mr. Moffitt will likely have an edge over out-of–county lawyers for the following reasons:
- Mr. Moffitt will likely be more familiar with local laws including ordinances that are specific to each individual county;
- Mr. Moffitt tends to be more familiar with the practices and procedures of local law enforcement agencies such as the Collier County Sheriff’s Office, Naples Police Department, Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (FWC), Florida Highway Patrol, Lee County Sheriff’s Office, Fort Myers Police Department, or Cape Coral Police Department;
- Mr. Moffitt may be more familiar with the local court procedures and the characteristics of the local judges, prosecutors and probation officers;
- Mr. Moffitt will likely have had prior cases with certain law enforcement officers and may know the strengths and weaknesses of those officers as witnesses;
- Mr. Moffitt practices in Collier or Lee County regularly therefore he tends to be more economical than a lawyer from across the state because those lawyers tend to increase their fees to compensate for the time and expenses of travel;
- Mr. Moffitt has previously worked as a Government Attorney in the counties where he practices law, which makes him familiar with the philosophies and procedures of the local State Attorney’s Office;
- Mr. Moffitt is usually able to make it to court in an emergency, such as when a client is suddenly and unexpectedly re-arrested for a violation of probation.
- Mr. Moffitt can usually be in court the morning after a person’s arrest and for the First Appearance hearing, which is at 9:00 am in Lee County or 2:00pm in Collier County on the day following the person’s arrest;
- Mr. Moffitt is more likely to know local investigators, which are sometimes necessary to assist in building a strong defense.
These are just some of the benefits of hiring Mr. Moffitt when pending charges are in Collier or Lee County. Mr. Moffitt’s office is conveniently located near the Courthouse in Naples.
Does the Lawyer Have Experience Specifically Handling the Criminal Charges You Are Facing?
Mr. Moffitt has handled a multitude of criminal defense charges. Here are some, but not all, of the types of charges he has handled: Murder, Drunk Driving, Boating Under the Influence (BUI), Drug Trafficking, Drug Manufacture, Drug Sales, Drug Possession charges, Paraphernalia, Burglary, Arson, Willful and Wanton Reckless Driving, Suspended License, Expired License, No Valid License, Trespass, Assault, Battery, Domestic Violence, Fishing violations, Hunting violations, Prostitution, Possession of Firearm by Convicted Felons, Violation of Injunction, and many types of theft charges such as Grand Theft and Petit Theft, etc.
How many years experience does the criminal defense lawyer have actually practicing criminal defense? Mr. Moffitt has over 17 years of experience dealing with criminal cases. After first practicing law as a Government Attorney, he then opened his own law office in Naples. Over the last 17 years, he has defended countless individuals charged with crimes. Mr. Moffitt strives to craft the best defense available to each client.
If you are facing a criminal charge in Collier or Lee County and would like to speak to a criminal defense attorney, please contact Mr. Moffitt at 239-298-6538.